The police I’ve spoken with in Peterborough in recent weeks, tell me that morale is down, they are overstretched and feel under appreciated.
After years of reduction in traditional crime, we have seen an increase, particularly in violent crime, since 2015.
At the same time, Cambs police are under pressure from reduced funding, with less money available for the community policing we all value.
With that in mind, here’s a couple of things I’d like to see …..
- Increase community policing.
- End the 1% cap on police pay rises.
- Require all frontline officers to wear body cameras on duty.
- Resource BAME staff associations such as the National Black Police Association to increase ethnic diversity and BAME participation in the police.
- Replace Police and Crime Commissioners, elected at great expense in elections with very low turnout, with accountable Police Boards made up of local councillors.